The Halton Suicide Prevention Coalition (HSPC) is a collaborative of individuals and organizations in the Halton communities of Burlington, Oakville, Milton, and Halton Hills.
We work together to provide leadership, advocacy, and education in the areas of suicide awareness, suicide prevention, suicide intervention, and suicide postvention.
In 2014 we undertook a strategic planning exercise funded through a Ministry of Children and Youth Services youth suicide prevention grant.
We developed new vision and mission statements, and identified three priority directions for 2014 - 2016.
Click here to see the HSPC Planning Map (pdf).
The Coalition is led by a Steering Committee, which includes representatives of the following:
- Halton Region Health Department
- The Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA) Halton Branch
- The Halton District School Board
- The Halton Catholic District School Board
- Halton Alcohol, Drug, and Gambling Assessment, Prevention, and Treatment Services (ADAPT)
- The Distress Centre Oakville
- The Schizophrenia Society of Ontario
- Positive Space Network of Halton
- Reach Out Centre for Kids (ROCK)
- Woodview Mental Health and Autism Services
- Halton Regional Police Service – Victim Services Unit
- Citizens affected by suicide also known as survivors of suicide
The Coalition has an annual meeting and workshop, sponsors other educational sessions, and is involved in networking and advocacy with community organizations.
Along with our website, the Coalition has several print posters and brochures available to promote awareness and educate about suicide related issues. A display focusing on suicide prevention is available for community events.
The Coalition is interested in future initiatives to further the goals of its strategic plan and the priorities suggested at its annual meetings.
The Coalition has been fortunate to receive funding from the Regional Municipality of Halton as well as in-kind services through the Halton Region Health Department. There has also been a significant commitment of volunteer time from steering committee and other committee members.