Helping a Suicidal Person?
If you suspect someone is suicidal, the following are some steps you can take:
- Ask him or her directly about suicide.
- Ask if they have a plan.
- If the person is in crisis and at immediate danger, assist them in getting help from emergency services.
- Encourage the person to talk openly about their feelings. Don’t judge.
- Do not promise to keep their thoughts a secret. Listen and be supportive.
- Trust your instincts and reach out to someone you think might be suicidal.