Self care means doing things regularly that contribute to your overall well being.
The following are some ways to build your overall health:
- Build your confidence and self esteem. Accept your strengths and weaknesses, accept what you do well and the things you need to work on.
- Create positive relationships. Build strong and loving relationships that have good communication and where you are accepted.
- Get involved. Do the things that you enjoy such as playing sports or volunteering.
- Learn to deal with stress. Stress is a normal part of our lives but it’s only a problem when it gets out of control. Learn to deal with stress. Keep a positive attitude and know you can handle what comes your way. Keep a healthy balance between work, school, family, friends, and time for yourself.
- Express your emotions. Find healthy ways to deal with your feelings. Everyone gets sad, angry or upset at times. How you express and deal with your feelings is important for your health.
- Eat well and exercise. There is a connection between physical health and overall well being. Healthy eating and regular exercise can improve your mood.
- Building supportive relationships. We all need someone to talk to about our feelings, whether it’s a family member, friend, co-worker or professional helper. Isolation can make us feel sad or think about suicide. Reaching out to others may be difficult at times, but it’s important to have the support of friends and family.